Prep time 15 minutes
Power or protein balls are becoming more and more popular in the foodie community—and for good reason! They are easy to make, filling, can be very nutrient dense, and are a great alternative to expensive store-bought bars that may contain some less than desirable ingredients.
These are a great snack option for first responders who need something fast and nutrient dense.
This recipe packs a nutritional punch. Blackstrap molasses is a great source of non-heme iron, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B6. Chia seeds provide healthy fat in the form of Omega 3 and are extremely high in calcium. They will also definitely help to keep you feeling full. Dates, honey, and blackstrap molasses provide a healthier alternative to refined sugar and the fat and protein contained in the nut butter, chia, and pumpkin seeds help to prevent a spike in blood sugar and serve to round these little guys out (pun intended).
Because I hate doing dishes, I suggest making a double batch and keeping them in the freezer until ready to eat. Be sure to keep them refrigerated once thawed to keep the pumpkin and chia seeds from going rancid.
- 10 dates (I used deglet noor)
- ½ cup of nut butter (I used peanut)
- 2 tablespoons of honey (watch out for a future post on the benefits of raw and local honey!)
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 ½ cup of oats
- 1/3 cup of raw
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp chia seed
- Start by soaking dates in water for a few minutes and remove any pits. Then add dates along with 5 tablespoons of water to a food processor. Mix until a paste starts to form.
- Add nut butter, honey, and blackstrap molasses to the mixture and combine in food processor until a very thick and creamy consistency is reached.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and then add in the nut butter mixture. Mix together all ingredients with a spatula or your hands until well combined. If you find that the mixture is too dry, try adding a little water. If too wet, add more oats.
- Form mixture into small balls (about 1 tbsp each) and place on dish or baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate power balls for 30 mins to set and then place in glass storage container. Store in the fridge or freezer.